“All we can hope for now is that we can bring their remains home and get justice for them”

By Mary Dennehy

THE parents and loved ones of missing Tallaght man William Maughan and his girlfriend Anna Varslavane gathered together in hope at the family home in Killinarden last week, as gardai began a search in Louth for the young couple who were last seen in April 2015.

On Saturday, April 29, gardai in the Ashbourne district launched a search near Drogheda after new information was received in connection with the disappearance of William and Anna – who were last seen in the Gormanstown area of Meath on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 between 2pm and 3pm.

Joe Maughan 04052017

Since the couple’s disappearance, their family has maintained that William and Anna were murdered by a criminal gang, with William’s parents Joe and Helen campaigning for their loved ones’ remains to be returned home – and for justice. 

Speaking with The Echo recently, Joe Maughan said: “We were all together on Saturday (April 29) hoping to hear something positive.

“It’s so sad to think that a family is hoping that a body is found, but all we can pray for now is that William’s remains are returned and that he can be buried with his brother [Bobby, who died from meningitis in 2008], and the same for Anna and her family.

“Sometimes I look out the window and hope that I’ll see him walking up the drive but that’s never going to happen, he’s never coming home.

“All we can hope for now is that we can bring their remains home and get justice for them.”

He added: “I am a broken man but I can’t give in.

“I will keep William and Anna alive and I will keep talking about what happened to them and encouraging people to come forward with information.

“There are people out there with information and I would appeal to them to come forward and to get this off their chest, off their conscience.”

A Garda spokesperson told The Echo that the search in Louth was carried out in relation to the ongoing serious criminal investigation.

The operation concluded at 6pm on Saturday, April 29, with investigations continuing. 

Anyone with any information is being urged to contact the Garda Confidential Line on 1800 666111.

Prev Local schools to benefit from €47m govt fund
Next Garda admits making an "error" in statement given about Jobstown protest
  • Walking miracle Karlee (8) thanks people for saving her life
  • Return of the flying ants!
  • Irish football supporters came out in force to remember Jack Charlton
  • Crowds gather to pay respect to former chairperson Brendan Moran
  • HSE launch Covid-19 Tracker App

We use cookies to improve your experience on our site, personalise content, provide social media features, analyse our traffic, show you relevant advertising and to target and report on ads. By using the site, you consent to the use of cookies that may process personal data for these purposes.