Just one third of stay-at-home parents apply for €1,100 Home Carer's Tax Credit

Just one third of couples eligible for the Home Carer’s Tax Credit applied for it last year, with the rest missing out on up to €1,100.

Although called the Home Carer’s Tax Credit, the credit is actually available to married couples or civil partners where one person works in the home caring for a dependent person.

Euro coins and banknotes large

Children are included, which means any stay-at-home parent whose spouse works full-time can avail of the credit.

What is even better is that the claim for the credit can be made for the last four years.

According to Citizens Information: “A Home Carer’s Tax Credit is a tax credit given to married couples or civil partners (who are jointly assessed for tax) where one spouse or civil partner works in the home caring for a dependent person.

“The tax you are liable to pay is calculated as a percentage of your income.

“A tax credit is deducted from this to give the actual amount of tax that you have to pay.

“A tax credit has the effect of reducing your payable tax by the amount of the credit.”

A dependent person is classified as a child for whom child benefit is payable, a person aged 65 or over or a person with a disability who requires care.

For more information on the Home Carer’s Tax Credit check out Citizens Information HERE.

Prev Concern over impact of Spawell stadium
Next Dr Jim Gray: “I cannot guarantee their care or dignity, which is a very serious thing to say as a clinician”
  • Return of the flying ants!
  • Irish football supporters came out in force to remember Jack Charlton
  • Crowds gather to pay respect to former chairperson Brendan Moran
  • HSE launch Covid-19 Tracker App
  • New South Dublin County Mayor - Councillor Ed O'Brien

We use cookies to improve your experience on our site, personalise content, provide social media features, analyse our traffic, show you relevant advertising and to target and report on ads. By using the site, you consent to the use of cookies that may process personal data for these purposes.