Council overturns Bord Pleanála ‘pizza’ decision

By Laura Lyne

THE FOOD fight that has gripped High Street, Tallaght, since last summer continues, after South Dublin County Council (SDCC) granted permission for retention to Pizza Mór.

It had previously undergone an enforcement order from the council after An Bord Pleanála refused permission for the development, despite the original application being granted permission by the council.

Pizza  Mor 02

The application for retention saw 11 submissions made, with the war of the pizza seeing both submissions of support and objections to the development.

Tallaght Community Council, along with local councillors and TDs, including Cllr Deirdre O’Donovan, Cllr Francis Noel Duffy, Senator Maire Devine, Deputy Katherine Zappone and Deputy Colm Brophy objected to the application.

In its submission, TCC cited the unacceptable proliferation” of takeaways in the area, the issues relating to childhood obesity in Ireland and “imbalance and need for a greater mix” in the High Street.

It said: “This street is not very active and is now trending towards low footfall land uses, which do not positively contribute to a “thriving” county town.

“While TCC are not anti-business, having yet another fast food business will damage the incremental image of Tallaght and will detract tourism as well as create excessive competition in the fast food sector in the area.”

Support for the application was submitted by a number of local businesses and residents, who cited Pizza Mór as an “excellent example of positive business growth in Tallaght”.

One submission said: “It’s during times like these, that we need to actively encourage growth of genuine Irish starts-ups like Pizza Mór.

“In doing so, we will keep money in the local community instead of being absorbed by massive franchises like Four Star or Dominoes.”

The estate agent who leased the property, David Swaine, also supported the application, stating that “all previous tenants, including a baby clothes store and a taxi office were unable to survive in the area”.

In its decision to grant permission for retention, South Dublin County Council referenced the previous refusal of permission by An Bord Pleanála.

It said: “It is concluded that the Bord’s reason for refusal is not sufficiently evidence-based and does not correctly take into account the nature of this town centre location which naturally acts as a focal point for a concentration of a variety of uses, including takeaways.

“In addition, it would appear to the planning authority that the Bord applied a country-wide planning policy to a specific town centre location which has a wider variety of uses and resultant concentration of uses when compared to a district, village or local centre, where different economic and social forces come into play.”

The decision to grant permission for retention was given on July 21.

Prev UPDATE: Gardai issue appeal after Greenhills Road shooting
Next ECHO OPINION: Waste freeze at Ballymount

  • 400 participate in sixth annual Run For Rita
  • The Echo Sport February Team of the Month - Templeogue College U16A Basketball Team
  • The Echo February Sports Star of the Month Award - Jack Woolley
  • Hero's welcome for Special Olympians Eimear Gannon and Rachel Murray
  • Stephen Kenny's reign as Republic of Ireland Under 21 manager got off to a winning start

We use cookies to improve your experience on our site, personalise content, provide social media features, analyse our traffic, show you relevant advertising and to target and report on ads. By using the site, you consent to the use of cookies that may process personal data for these purposes.