Man charged in connection with Speaker Conolly pub armed robbery

By Brendan Grehan

A MAN charged in connection with the attempted armed robbery of the Speaker Conolly pub on New Years’ night has been remanded in custody with consent to bail.

Derek Foran appeared before Judge John King in custody. The 33-year-old was wearing a red hooded top, black tracksuit bottoms and black trainers. His head was heavily bandaged and he had two black eyes. The court heard that Foran had suffered two fractured ribs, one fractured finger and had received 30 stitches to his head.

Speaker Conolly pub

Foran was represented by John Griffin Bl, who was instructed by Padraig O’Donovan Solicitors.

Foran, with an address at Allenton Avenue, Tallaght, is charged with attempting to rob Jason Doyle, acting manager, at The Speaker Conolly, Firhouse Shopping Centre, on January 1, 2018, contrary to Common Law.

Garda James Ward told Judge King that he arrested Foran at 11.40pm on New Years Day at the Speaker Conolly pub in Firhouse.

Garda Ward said Foran was later charged in his presence at Tallaght Garda Station at 8.08pm on Tuesday (January 2) by Sergeant Farrell. He said Foran made no reply when charged.

Garda Ward told Judge King that he was objecting to bail under the O’Callaghan rules due to the seriousness of the charge.

He said that Foran had a history of taking warrants, one in 2017, one in 2013, one in 2007,one in 2005 and one in 2004.

Mr Griffin said that if his client was granted bail he would reside at his home address with his mother. He said Foran would be able to come up with €300 bail.

Judge King noted that it was a serious charge but added that he was prepared to grant bail with conditions.

He remanded Foran in custody to Cloverhill District Court on January 9 next with consent to bail of his own bond of €300 with no cash and an indepependent surety of €1,000 to lodge €500 cash or two independent sureties of €500 to lodge €250 each and on condition that he reside at his home address, that he observe a curfew from 10pm to 6am, that he sign on daily at Tallaght Garda Station, that he have no contact with the injured party or any other witnesses and that he stay away from the Firhouse area.

Mr Griffin asked that the judge direct that his client received medical treatment. He said Foran had suffered two fractured ribs, one fractured finger and he had received 30 stitches to his head.

Judge King made the order directing that Foran receive all necessary medical treatment.

Prev Gardai search River Dodder in Firhouse
Next Tributes paid to former councillor Stanley Laing
  • Sixteen of Ireland’s most iconic sports stars join forces
  • A message from Stephen Kenny
  • Happy Mother's Day - Sea of Change Choir
  • The Echo speaks to Trish Nolan manager of the South Dublin County Volunteer Centre
  • The Echo Newspaper needs your support

We use cookies to improve your experience on our site, personalise content, provide social media features, analyse our traffic, show you relevant advertising and to target and report on ads. By using the site, you consent to the use of cookies that may process personal data for these purposes.