Ballyfermot fight back to preserve title hopes

By Alex Barrett

Ballyfermot United pulled off a dramatic comeback after shipping two first half goals against FC Transylvania to earn a share of the spoils and keep their LSL Major One title hopes alive at Coldcut on Sunday.

Transylvania were aggressive from the kick-off, attacking down both wings with Marian Ghinita scoring twice in quick succession to give them a strong advantage heading into the second half.

Ballyfermot Ut V Transalvania 09

Ballyfermot United fought back for a crucial point last Sunday.

Ballyfermot were denied the chance to get off the mark in the opening half  thanks to two spectacular saves by Transylvania goalkeeper Marcel Mitrica.

However, a revitalised Ballyfermot began an aggressive onslaught in the second half. Two consecutive free kicks from Darryl Henderson were caught in mid air by Mitrica and a great cross from Jason O’Neil was cleared by Transylvania defender Ciprian Gulea, but it was clear the game had changed direction.

Some great saves from Ballyfermot keeper Sean French stopped Transylvania from increasing their lead, but Ballyfermot were still unable to beat Matrica until two shrewd substitutions were made in Jordan Lawless and Karl McFaul.

The former proved his value almost immediately, burying a penalty into the back of the net after Darryl Henderson had been brought down in the box by Leo Iocab.

Ballyfermot continued to attack but Matrica was still pulling off some great stops, including one from Adam Kane’s free kick.

John Coughlan made a run past two Transylvania defenders, but was intercepted at the last minute by the Number One.

Ballyfermot’s persistence soon paid off however, after substitute Karl McFaul scored a great goal when he got in on the end of a brilliant cross from O’Neil into the box.

McFaul continued to wreak havoc in the Transylvania defence, sending his header from Lawless’s corner just over. O’Neil was through one on one with Matrica in the 30th minute but the goalkeeper again emerged tops from that duel.

Transylvania also attempted to get back into the game without luck. They missed a great opportunity after Edgar Suparchi’s free kick hit the wall and the resulting corner was cleared away by Karl McFaul.

The game remained competitive until the final whistle, a great cross from Ballyfermot’s O’Neil into substitute Arron Valentine being cleared by Costinel Radat- a move that signalled the end of the tie.

Ballyfermot are now third in the Leinster Senior League Major One, six points behind leaders Rush Athletic with several games in hand and hoping to close the gap.

Ballyfermot: S. French, J. Kavanagh, G. Clarke, S. Reilly, J. Coughlan, D. Ryan, L. Lawler, D. Henderson, P. Moore, J. O’Neil, A. Kane Subs: K. McFaul, J. Lawless, A. Valentine, G. McCarty.

Transylvania: M. Mitrica, M. Mosneagli, A. Gherca, C. Grigoras, C. Gulea, M. Ghinita, L. Iacob, C. Radat, E. Suparschi, A. Gesco, V. Nichita Subs: V. Condurache, R. Popa, C. Vacaru, V. Mandea.

Prev Collinstown turn on style in a big weekend for club
Next Table toppers Peamount drawn to face Shels

  • Tallaght father Mick Morrissey issues an important message after his son Alex tragically passed away
  • Sixteen of Ireland’s most iconic sports stars join forces
  • A message from Stephen Kenny
  • Happy Mother's Day - Sea of Change Choir
  • The Echo speaks to Trish Nolan manager of the South Dublin County Volunteer Centre

We use cookies to improve your experience on our site, personalise content, provide social media features, analyse our traffic, show you relevant advertising and to target and report on ads. By using the site, you consent to the use of cookies that may process personal data for these purposes.