Tallaght derail Union en route to decider

TALLAGHT RFC men’s first team edged a 17-12 point victory over Railway Union in the semi-final of the John Madden Cup in Tymon Park on Saturday to set up a decider with DLSP.

The homeside started the stronger and their powerful maul earned a penalty that Rob Hudson converted to nudge them three points ahead.


The maul also set the stage for their first try after it rumbled almost 40 metres before being pulled down.

Skipper Adam Nolan tapped the penalty and forced his way over the line for an excellent try on to which Hudson tagged the extras for a 10-0 lead.

Despite losing full back Aaron Shanahan to injury, Tallaght continued to dominate and a fine backline move involving Simon Collie and Padhraig Jones set winger Gavin McKeon free for a certain try.

He was denied only by a high tackle that resulted in the referee awarding a penalty try and a yellow card to the Railway Union player.

A second Railway player was later yellow-carded and Tallaght really should have capitalised, but instead their own Simon Collie followed him to the line.

Tallaght quickly suffered another injury blow when skipper Adam Nolan was forced to leave the field with knee trouble.

Further injuries followed to Daniel Pomares and replacement prop Andy Grace and it consequently saw Tallaght lose their shape as Railway stepped up a gear and broke over.

The game became a lot more edgy for the hosts when Sean Hanlon was shown a yellow card for a foul at the ruck, but they held on despite Railway scoring a converted try in the last play of the game.

Elsewhere, Tallaght women's team got their league campaign off to a great start with a commanding 29-5 victory over Longford.


Tallaght quickly opened their account when Marta Hoppe sent her midfield partner Ellen Crotty away for a try with a deft pass.

The Tallaght forwards were dominant with Lisa Kennedy and Lorraine McManus carrying strongly.

This set up another chance for new fly-half Nadine Thompston to spread the ball wide and Hoppe once again linked up with Crotty who ran free for her second touchdown, scrum-half Caoimhe Hogan converting the try to make it 12-0.

Number Eight Aisling Pyke was leading the charge in terms of physicality in both defence and attack and she powered through for a touchdown to make it 17-0 by the half-time break.

Tallaght maintained the pressure in the second half and after some smart passing from the forwards, Megan Fogarty was put through a gap and she forced her way over for a try which Hogan converted.

Longford did get off the mark after making it over the whitewash, but Tallaght responded in kind when a strong run from Audrey Fulham helped see the ball wide to Ciara McLoughlin and she exchanged passes with Crotty who finished in the corner to complete her hat-trick.

Prev Peamount back on the brink of cup glory
Next South Dublin pair top Polish Open podium

  • eBeauty - Victoria Secret Runway ready
  • Double gold medal winner at the EYOF Rhasidat Adeleke receives a huge welcome home
  • ebeauty - Turquoise Glam
  • Rhasidat Adeleke strikes gold for second time at European Youth Olympics Festival
  • Tallaght Athletic Club's Rhasidat Adeleke speaking after winning gold

We use cookies to improve your experience on our site, personalise content, provide social media features, analyse our traffic, show you relevant advertising and to target and report on ads. By using the site, you consent to the use of cookies that may process personal data for these purposes.