Towers on the Mark’s

By Hayden Moore

UNFAVOURABLE conditions at McGee Park did not help St Mark’s as they were beaten 2-12 to 1-8 by an effective Round Tower in their Adult Hurling League Division Three clash on Sunday.

After taking a four-point lead into half-time through a Ryan Farrell goal, the Tallaght side fell behind with the snow and wind in their faces after the interval as Towers rattled the net for a second-time.

Marks V Rount Towers 03

Gary Quinlivan clears his lines as Shane Galvin attempts a hook during their AHL Division Three clash last Sunday.

After back-to-back promotions, Mark’s made a bright start to the tie and took the lead when captain David Kearns guided a placed ball over the black spot.

His Clondalkin free-taking counterpart Liam O’Connor responded moments later by way of a brace of frees, but they fell behind once again when forward Ryan Farrell found the net.

With the wind at their back, Ciaran Rabbitte’s punt from half-back was picked up by Joey Cannon, who palmed it off to the onrushing Farrell to drill beyond Towers ‘keeper Eoin Walsh.

A Martin Kavanagh point coupled with a fine Jimmy Hilliard score from the wing had Mark’s sailing towards half-time until Eric Finn pulled a goal back for the green and white just before the break.

Captain Finn then built on his point when he dropped to the centre of the McGee Park pitch to pick up the sliotar and embark on a mazy run towards goal, skipping two defen-ders and firing to the goal.

The centre-forward’s score came at a crucial point in the game and closed the gap to 1-3 to 1-7 as the half-time whistle sounded.

With the blustery conditions worsening and the snowfall growing more intense, Towers catapulted into the lead as the young forward O’Connor took his tally to 0-5.

Finn then found the net when he latched on to a breaking ball and unleashed a strike past shotstopper Robbie Kenny.

Reliable Farrell was the only shining light for Mark’s after the interval as he split the posts to register Mark’s only point in the second-half.

Round Towers wing-forward Paidi Stapleton registered a fine point from out wide while Finn chalked up a further brace from play.

With the clock running down, Eoghan Young fired over from midfield before O’Connor put the cap on an impressive comeback with a free.

While Round Towers have won two from two, placing them joint-top, Mark’s have yet to put any points on the board after suffering back-to-back defeats at the hands of Naomh Mearnog and the Clondalkin outfit.

Next upfor the Springfield side, on March 24, is a trip to Ballyboden St Enda’s, who handed Kevins a 6-18 to 0-2 whopping in the previous round.

Towers will welcome St Patrick’s of Palmerstown in a local clash, with the latter looking to get a first win under their belt.

Prev Reynolds and Darragh make last eight in Portugal
Next Templeogue are on the double in Dublin Cup Finals

  • eBeauty - Victoria Secret Runway ready
  • Double gold medal winner at the EYOF Rhasidat Adeleke receives a huge welcome home
  • ebeauty - Turquoise Glam
  • Rhasidat Adeleke strikes gold for second time at European Youth Olympics Festival
  • Tallaght Athletic Club's Rhasidat Adeleke speaking after winning gold

We use cookies to improve your experience on our site, personalise content, provide social media features, analyse our traffic, show you relevant advertising and to target and report on ads. By using the site, you consent to the use of cookies that may process personal data for these purposes.