Two charged perverting course of justice in Wayne Whelan murder probe

By Tom Tuite

A MAN and woman have appeared in court accused of perverting the course of justice during the investigation into the murder of a 42-year-old man in Dublin last year.

Wayne Whelan, 42, was shot in the head before the Toyota car he was in was torched in the Mount Andrew Rise area of Lucan, Dublin on November 18.

dublincourtnew compressor

Dublin District Court

Mr Whelan, who was found on the passenger seat, was identified using DNA analysis.

Lacey O’Connor, 28, and Mark Casserly, 45, both living in the same address at Rowlagh Park, Clondalkin, Dublin, were arrested on Thursday morning and charged with perverting the course of justice.

 

They then appeared before Judge Gerard Jones at Dublin District Court.

There was no objection to bail subject them obeying conditions and they were ordered to appear again at the district court on July 23 to be served with a book of evidence and returned for trial to a higher court.

The Director of Public Prosecutions has directed trial on indictment.

Ms O’Connor was charged with perverting the course of justice in the context of the criminal investigation into the murder of Wayne Whelan and allegedly gave a false account on November 19 of the movements of Anthony Casserly, who has since been charged with the murder.

Detective Sergeant John Conway told the court Ms O'Connor had no reply when the charge was put to her at Ronanstown Garda station.

Judge Jones agreed to order her to surrender her passport within 24 hours to gardai and to sign on once a week at a garda station. Ms O’Connor did not address the court but her solicitor Simon Fleming confirmed she would bring her passport to Ronanstown garda station.

Detective Garda Marcus Rowntree told Judge Jones that Mark Casserly also made no reply. He faces two charges for giving false accounts to gardai, on December 5 and December 12, of the movements of Anthony Casserly.

Judge Jones ordered Mark Casserly, who did not have a passport, not to apply for travel documents and to undertake not to leave the jurisdiction.

He was also ordered to sign on once a week at a garda station and to give gardai his mobile phone number.

Legal aid was granted. Bail was set at €100 each.

Two other men are already before the courts in relation to Mr Whelan’s death.

Anthony Casserly, 23, and Christopher Moran, 50, both from Rowlagh Park in Clondalkin were charged in December in connection with the murder.

By subscribing to The Echo you are supporting your local newspaper Click Here: Echo Online.

Prev This week's front pages - 14th of May 2020
Next Coronavirus: 10 further deaths and 426 new cases
  • Walking miracle Karlee (8) thanks people for saving her life
  • Return of the flying ants!
  • Irish football supporters came out in force to remember Jack Charlton
  • Crowds gather to pay respect to former chairperson Brendan Moran
  • HSE launch Covid-19 Tracker App

We use cookies to improve your experience on our site, personalise content, provide social media features, analyse our traffic, show you relevant advertising and to target and report on ads. By using the site, you consent to the use of cookies that may process personal data for these purposes.