Three-mendous Basquel fires Boden into semis

By Hayden Moore

BALLYBODEN St Enda’s star-men stood up to be counted when it mattered the most against Na Fianna with Colm Basquel the hat-trick hero as his side ran out 3-15 to 1-15 eventual winners after extra time in the Senior One Football Championship quarter-final.

The forward proved a nightmare for Na Fianna defences in extra-time on Saturday night by kicking all of Boden’s scores, 2-1 from play, to rescue a place in the final four.

Ballyboden St Endas v Na Fianna SFC1 QF Colm Basquel was untouchable as he tallied 3 4 pic by John Kirwan

Colm Basquel was untouchable as he tallied 3-4 for Ballyboden on Saturday (Photo by John Kirwan)

Although there was no shortage of late drama in the clash, the game proved to be a true thriller in Parnell Park with both sides displaying some top-drawer football as they traded blows throughout.

The Mobhi Road outfit shot into the lead when Niall McGovern fisted over and despite Colm Basquel finding the equaliser moments later, Dessie Farrell’s side widened the gap once again through Aaron Byrne and James Doran.

But through Colm’s brother Ryan Basquel, who kicked 0-5 overall from full-forward, and some fantastic over-the-shoulder points from Ross McGarry it was all square after just eight-minutes.

That was the game, Na Fianna would score and the Firhouse Road lads would find the equaliser but Dublin panellist Conor McHugh pushed the former into a 0-8 to 0-6 half-time lead after striking over four times.

It seemed to be game over when Killian Deely goal pushed Na Fianna 1-13 to 0-12 clear with just eight-minutes remaining.

Following points from Ryan Basquel and a well-worked team-move for Colm’s first goal on 57 minutes, Boden had cut the deficit to just a point.

However, late drama ensued when Colm Basquel’s high free seemingly went inside of the post only for it to be ruled out with just seconds remaining.

In a moment that could be likened to Stephen Cluxton’s late kick in the All-Ireland Final in 2011, Boden ‘keeper Darragh Gogan converted from 45 metres to send his side into extra time by the skin of their teeth.

Late into the first period of extra time, with Na Fianna through on goal and just Gogan left at the back in a two-on-one moment, St Enda’s centre-back Robbie McDaid made up massive ground in a surging run to make a block on the line – preventing his side falling four points behind.

Colm Basquel brought his personal tally to 3-4 when he capitalised on a mistake in the square for his second goal and rounded out the game with his third after Michael Darragh Macauley made a run through the middle of the park, laying it off before Colm buried to the net.

Prev Defending champs Jude’s into senior camogie final
Next Crumlin United U17s make their Mark in Premier One

  • Light House in Kilnamanagh gets decorated for Easter
  • Scrap yard fire Greenhills Road
  • A Happy St Patrick’s Day from Dublin Fire Brigade
  • Happy St Patrick's Day 2021
  • Food table in Tallaght

Will you watch the Harry and Meghan interview with Oprah?

We use cookies to improve your experience on our site, personalise content, provide social media features, analyse our traffic, show you relevant advertising and to target and report on ads. By using the site, you consent to the use of cookies that may process personal data for these purposes.